inc. Govt Charge
QQI Level 5 Award in Laboratory Techniques 5M3807 Duration: 1 Year
Click Here To Print This Page
Note: This course costs €250 if you are exempt from €200 Government Charge
What will I study?
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Laboratory Skills
- Word Processing
- Work Experience
How will I learn?
You will have a mixture of classroom-based subjects, laboratory practicals, mandatory work placement and independent study. You will be expected to complete assignments throughout the year.
How will I be assessed?
A full Award is granted on passing the relevant eight components. You will be assessed throughout and at the end of the year.(Continuous Assessment) On successful completion of each component, you will be awarded a Pass, a Merit or a Distinction grade.
What we Would like from you!
An ambition to study Science at Third Level, a love of science & maths and a willingness to work hard are what is required. You will be responsible for securing an appropriate off site work placement before the beginning of the course.
Particular Resources Required
Manuals are provided for some components. Laboratory equipment and white coats are also supplied for practical classes.
Employment opportunities include working in pharmaceutical research organisations as clinical researchers or as laboratory assistants. They may also work in science-related industries such as clinical trial monitoring or medical research organisations. Students may also progress to participating Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) through the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme. Past students have progressed onto DIT, DCU, UCD, NUIM, TCD, IT Tallaght, IT Carlow and UCC. Seven from the class of 2015 got into General Science in UCD.
Click this course code 5M3807 to see the list of Third Level courses this Award links with. You can also select “any award” in the same search box and this will return all courses open to students who have successfully completed a QQI Level 5 course.
- Over 16 years
- Leaving Certificate/LCVP/LCA
- Students who may not have formal academic requirements but who have the ability to successfully participate on the course will be considered. (RPL Recognition of Prior Learning)
- Mature students (over 21 years) may be entitled to VTOS funding
- Applicants must have attained a Pass grade in Leaving Cert Ordinary Level Maths or equivalent
- LCA and Leaving Certificate Foundation Maths students must sit a short Maths test in Killester College as part of the Application process
Course Code 920