inc. Govt Charge
QQI Level 5 Certificate in Early Childhood Care & Education 5M2009 Duration: 1 year
Certification in Sign Language
Click Here To Print This Page
Note: This course costs €350 if you are exempt from €200 Government Charge
What will I study?
- Child Development
- Child Health and Well Being
- Early Childhood Education and Play
- Creative Arts for Early Childhood
- Early Care and Education Practice
- Approaches to Early Childhood Educ.
- Understanding Special Needs
- Work Experience
Please note the components listed above may vary occasionally
How will I learn?
You will have a mixture of classroom-based subjects, mandatory work placement and independent study. You will be expected to complete assignments throughout the year.
How will I be assessed?
A full Award is granted on passing the relevant eight components. You will be assessed throughout and at the end of the year.(Continuous Assessment) On successful completion of each component, you will be awarded a Pass, a Merit or a Distinction grade.
What we would like from you!
Applicants should have an interest in pre-school children and learning how to care for them professionally. You should be responsible, hardworking and organised. You will be responsible for securing an appropriate off site work placement before the beginning of the course.
Students are qualified to work in creches and similar Childcare settings. Students may also progress to participating Higher Education Institutions (HEI’s) through the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme. Past students are studying in DIT, ITB and Carlow IT in the Early Childhood Education area.
Click this course code 5M2009 to see the list of Third Level courses this Award links with. You can also select “any award” in the same search box and this will return all courses open to students who have successfully completed a QQI Level 5 course.
A student seeking entry to this programme does not need a previous formal qualification. However, the student must demonstrate at interview the capacity to successfully participate on this programme. This includes both the academic and work experience elements of the programme. Should the student have previous qualifications, one of the following may be advantageous for admission to the programme:
- For the purposes of Work Experience placements, students must be 18 years and over by the 31st October in year of entry due to HSE requirements.
- Leaving Certificate/LCVP/LCA
- QQI Level 4 Award
- Students who may not have formal academic requirements but who have the ability to successfully participate on the course will be considered. (RPL Recognition of Prior Learning)
- Mature students (over 21 years) may be entitled to VTOS funding
Garda Vetting Required: Yes
Course Code 111